fredag 4 juli 2008

Registration day at York


I took the day off and went to my Registration appointment at York. I have enough transfer credits to enter into second year, and the advisor told me exactly where to take my credits from this year so that I can get most of my requirements out of the way. Then I took language placement tests for Italian and French. I can enter into Intermediate Italian, which was a bit higher than I expected. As soon as I started writing the test I realised how much I've forgotten - or never really knew in the first place. I can still understand spoken Italian easily, but I've gotten pretty useless with written work. In French, though, I scored Advanced. Yay! I'm so hesitant about where my French skills really are, but the test was easy, and I get to go straight into the course I was hoping to. I was thinking of taking one of my electives in French as well, but none fit into my timetable.



I wish I had written in this blag more regularly since I started it last fall. I think it would give an interesting perspective on the time since then. When I started it, I was feeling totally hopeless and lost, always out of control and embarrassed by it. I was so frustrated. I didn't know where I was. I don't remember last September, October very well, actually. Was it really that bad that I blocked it out?

That didn't last for overly long, and I regained my equilibrium. I was in a sort of boring, middle place until a month or so ago. I wasn't doing anything particularly interesting, but I wasn't suffering. However, and perhaps it's since I was admitted to school, but now I am full of ideas again. I want to take pictures and knit and sew and draw and arrange my house and work on my skills all the time!

But I can sense that another period of frustration could be coming, as my excitement and energy collide with the reality that I still have to be in work for another month and a half. I managed to sublimate it for a while, but once again I'm becoming more aware of how hideous it feels to hide myself away inside an office all day, doing mindless work of no real value, in order to accrue revenue for people and a company that I have no real investment in, feel no true respect for, and who have no natural authority over me. It's especially difficult during times like these when I am so full of ideas and plans and energy to have to ignore that in order to play my part in a system I don't believe in and want nothing to do with. It's very difficult. The one upside is that hopefully I will be able to remember this particular type of anger and avoid getting in this type of job situation again, and have sympathy for those who are, or to use it in some other way. I had some other thoughts on mindless, basically unskilled (or far below skill level) work today while I was riding the metro, which hopefully I will write more about tomorrow.

Inga kommentarer: