I have been surprisingly faithful in keeping up a list of books read, which I began in August 2009 when I moved to Sweden and was stuck in bed with a terrible cold and no internet connection for a few days. I had some books and a new laptop with OneNote installed, so when I'd finished all the books and had nothing else to do I turned to playing with it, and started a list of the books I'd read. I've always been keen on keeping lists, but never have I been so dedicated as with this list. As of today I'm only on book 165, which doesn't seem like much, but bear in mind that in between books I've read probably thousands of pages of articles and chapters of things for school, which didn't make it on the list.
And what is book 165? Dodie Smith's The Town in Bloom. I've been on a D Smith kick lately, this is the third novel by her I've read in the last few weeks, and the last one our library has by her. I love her clever females, her invariably kind but imperfect men, and her reasonably happy endings. I like a bit of trouble in my novels as much as anyone, but I can't stand it when books end with everything gone all wrong, just for the sake of 'realism.' It's been my experience that things quite often turn out more or less acceptably, after all.
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar