söndag 31 mars 2013

the strongest girl in the world

I love going to the gym now. Not so much for the workout itself, but more because I'm amazed that I do it at all, and at what I can do when there. As a kid I hated gym class. I never learned to swim properly because at lessons I'd offer to let other kids go ahead of me in the line for the diving board, among other tricks for staying as dry as possible. The only time I can recall being yelled at by a teacher was when I let a kid in gym class take all my turns for me (it was some kind of ball-throwing practice) while I sat on the sidelines and played with dandelions. And any sport that involved a field was a disaster - during baseball and football games I'd gaze idly at the clouds instead of the game.

In short, I've never thought of myself as particularly physically active. The things I do at the gym now - running a few kilometers on the treadmill, or lifting weights, are not so remarkable, but every time I see that I've managed to lift ten or twenty kilograms with my own two arms, or that I've been running for over ten minutes without giving up, it seems incredible.

I've always thought of myself as a bookish sort, lost in daydreams or curled up in the library. I could never have imagined myself at the gym, of my own free will, lifting weights, running, cycling until my legs burn. It's so lovely to find out what you really can do, after all.

Inga kommentarer: